This is a list of charities (in no particular order) that I have heard great things about and hope to visit one day in the not too distant future. This list is always expanding, so keep checking in!
- Limbe Wildlife Centre. A wildlife rehabilitation and education centre in Cameroon for confiscated animals, victims of poaching and the illegal trade.
- CRPL – Centre de Rehabilitation des Primates de Lwiro. A sanctuary for orphans of war and poaching in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage. Located in the north of Zambia, one of the world’s largest and oldest shelters for chimpanzees.
- Lola Ya Bonobo. The world’s only organization, in the only country they are found, Democratic Republic of Congo, that provide lifetime care to bonobos orphaned by the illegal trade in endangered wildlife.
- Elephant Nature Park. A rescue and rehabilitation center in northern Thailand, providing sanctuary for dozens of distressed elephants from all over Thailand.
- Endangered Primate Rescue Center. Dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, breeding, research and conservation of Vietnam’s endangered and critically endangered primate species.
- Mona Foundation. Rescues abused primates, rehabilitates them physically and mentally, and offers them a new life in a social family group in Spain.
- AAP Primadomus. Gives primates and other exotic mammals a better future. They rescue animals and make the case for better animal legislation in Europe. Based in Spain with another site in Netherlands.
- Costa Rica Animal Rescue Centre. An organisation which rescues and rehabilitates wildlife for release or life-long care in Costa Rica.
- Projecto Carayá. An organisation that rescues trafficked monkeys, rehabilitates and releases them back to the wild. It is the first and only primate rehabilitation center in Argentina. It is the only one in the world that works with Black howler Monkeys.
Places I have been;
- Ape Action Africa Inc. Rescues orphaned and injured gorillas and chimpanzees, reintroduces them to groups of their own kind in a safe and controlled environment in Cameroon. They operate a thriving educational program for local school children.
- The Gibbon Rehabilitation Project. Rescues, rehabilitates, releases gibbons and educates about the issues these primates face in the wild in Thailand. Check out my posts about this place, to understand more.
- Naxos Animal Welfare Society. Provides sanctuary and care to stray cats and dogs on the island of Naxos, Greece. Here is my post about what I thought of this place and how I was able to help.
- Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Inc. Rescues, rehabilitates and releases Texan native wildlife, and provides sanctuary, individualised care and a voice for other animals in need. Read more about my time here.
- Caye Caulker Animal Shelter. Cares for happy and healthy cats, dogs and iguanas that would otherwise be homeless on the Island of Caye Caulker, Belize.
- Animalia Wildlife Shelter. Helps sick, injured and orphaned native Australian wildlife. Provides educational workshops and classes for carers, the community and school groups.
- Wild Days Wildlife Shelter. Cares for injured, sick and orphaned native Australian wildlife.
If you or anyone you know have volunteered, or spent some time at any of these charities or highly recommend other organisations, please get in touch and let me know!
I am on the look out for great charities that help orangutans, rhinos, elephants, big cats and turtles!